porting SSOD (Single sign on daemon to sync passwords with windows) to dragonfly bsd

Paul Grunwald pgrunwald at spamthis.comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 09:31:15 PST 2005

"Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig at xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:41e1632f$0$719$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> <cut>
>> I wanted to sync with a couple of
>> XP boxes without a domain, which means that I use a central DF box to
>> centralize the passwords for the XP boxes and use some scripts to
>> create user on the local machines, this way I can spear me the cost
>> of an 2000 server and migrate as much as possible to unix.
>>

> The more I think of it the more I like the idea, even in an AD I would
> setup SSOD so that I always have a duplicate for my account names &
> passwords. This would prevent vendor lock-in and allows me to be more
> flexible in my network design.
> And even when disaster of disaster happens (losing the AD) I would
> still have account information. This would definitely feel me more
> comfortably. Having accounts in a unix syste, would also easen the
> path to migrating clients to OSS.

You can use Samba as a domain controller.  There is a fair amount of
groups/profiles and whatnot.  I don't believe that it is full AD
functionality but it is more than I have ever seen needed except in the
larger enterprise class networks.