Dragonfly and Hyperthreading....

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Feb 21 13:55:20 PST 2005

At 1:01 PM -0800 2/21/05, Matthew Dillon wrote:
    From the point of view of cpu power per watt AMD wins hands
    down.  As I said, this is becoming the #1 concern for anyone
    running more then a few machines.
This is certainly noticeable here at RPI.  When we're planning for
some big computer upgrades, more and more of the time (and money)
is spent on issues of power and cooling.  There is one upcoming
computer cluster which might even go to Apple (*), simply because of
64-bit address space (G5's), combined with lower power requirements.
And there are companies like http://www.rackable.com/ and
http://www.orionmulti.com/, which are selling products based on
very different approaches to the problem.  You might think either
of the ideas are dumb, but the whole reason they have any customers
is because many places are now running into a wall wrt power and
cooling requirements.
(* - it isn't *likely* to go to Apple, but Apple is definitely
being considered this time, even though we have pretty much
ignored Apple for the past six years)
My own office just got some "remodeling" to put vents in the door,
because the room is heating up too much with the few computers
that I have in here...
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx