cvs commit: src/lib Makefile src/lib/libpthread Makefile README dummy.c

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat May 5 09:20:08 PDT 2007

:Why? Is it so that a kdump for a single-threaded process will not show
:redundant data?
:
:If so, I'd prefer a command line flag to toggle display of the lwpid on and
:off (or at least to force display of the lwpid). What you're suggesting would
:unnecessarily complicate parsing of kdump output.

    If the pid:tid is separated with a colon instead of whitespace it
    will not be difficult to parse it with or without the tid.  Screen
    space is already at a premium with the kdump output, I don't want
    to add the additional output unless the program is actually threaded.

    There is no easy way to determine whether the program is threaded
    or not short of adding a flag to say 'yah, this program did some LWP
    ops at some point so treat it as if it were threaded'.  This could
    be done by inserting another 'short' field in the ktrace structure
    (see that 'short' declaration in the structure?  The structure is
    probably being realigned after that declaration so we might as well
    insert another 'short' there for a flags field).

    The only other way, the quick solution which I originally suggested,
    would be to only output the TID if it is non-zero

    An option could be added to force the TID to be displayed regardless,
    but the default should be to determine TID display automatically.

					<dillon at backplane.com>