vkernel rc.d start/stop script

Nuno Antunes nuno.antunes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 06:53:18 PDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Chris Turner <c.turner at 199technologies.org> wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     In anycase, lets plan on committing this patch Saturday, to give people
>     time for some feedback and/or updated patches.
FYI, next up on ye-olde agenda for me is a vkernel -p pidfile option
(right now am kludging via $!). This should be quick, but won't have a
chance until after the shutdown script cleanup , so probably won't
happen until sat. evening at the earliest.
Good! I'll update my patch once vkernel has a pid saving functionality.

Also, for discussion sake, should the vkernel actually be
installed somewhere outside of the build tree? I know manual copying is
an option, but this is messy IMHO
Thinking either

1) /usr/bin/vkernel

   This isn't 'clean' compared to the rest of the source tree
  (e.g. /usr/src/usr.bin), unless the vkernel sources are moved there,
  but that would probably be tricky build wise.
  Perhaps installing there would be a justified 'special case' ?
  (could put pointer doc if needed for clarification)
2) /vkernel

   Keeps more with the 'traditional' /vmunix, /bsd, /kernel , etc,
   but perhaps is 'clutter' in terms of not really being true
   'system' code..
I usually copy my vkernels near their root images. I would prefer not
to install it at /usr/bin or /. The way I see it a vkernel is not a
regular command and you can have several different vkernel binaries
(different kernel versions, different configs, etc).
anyhow.. good to see my simple patch inspring something :)
:-)

Nuno.