NCURSES not done, and not going to mess with build system.

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Sun Feb 27 15:51:21 PST 2005

Tsume wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:33:29 +0800, Bill Hacker <wbh at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Minor editing or patching to a Makefile is hard to avoid.
Major editing is less common.
Creating all-new Makefiles from scratch on anything as venerable as
ncurses,
even after major source surgery, is a bit puzzling - at least to me.

Would it be unreasonable to ask for a recap of the changes
before the full-body is sent anywhere?
Bill Hacker

Hello,

How are you doing?
Bit weary... day or so since last slept, thanks.

I've looked on what changes there are for the
version  differences between 5.4 and 5.1. They've removed or implemented
any of the  methods which have /* not implemented */, added more
functions (wide  character support, screen manipulation, and much more).
I looked at the info on the link (below), expected from your several posts
that DragonFlyBSD was at some release below 5.4 (specifically 5.1).
Reached over and did a pkg_add -rv ncurses

I now show ncurses 5.4

Its well worth the  upgrade, but I feel it very inefficient how I've re
rewrite the makefiles  from scratch just because I don't have 3 hours
just to write makefiles. I  want to hack the generated makefile in the
build, but I know it wouldn't  be accepted because its not standard.

I am still not understanding here.

Do you mean that ncurses 5.4 from pkgsrc has been stripped down/back from
'conventional' ncurses, and you are working to bring it back into line
or ...?

Heres a link to the NEWS in CVS
code-exec dot net slash ncurses-5.4 slash NEWS
all modifications since 20000708(5.1 Release)

ACK.  But nothing new for nearly 13 months since 5.4 was released....

Still not sure what your changes are, or if they are 'restoral' or new
additions.

I'm still waiting patiently on joerg to complete Wide Character support
for DragonFly. *smile*

'Wide" as in DBCS? UTF-16?  Other Asian language character encoding?

Best,

Bill Hacker