patch to mount(8) to support optional filesystem mounts

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jan 23 16:06:21 PST 2004

:Absolutely.
:
:I'm pretty confident now that this can be seamlessly wedged into
:something like /etc/rc.d/mountoptional, without disturbing the other
:/etc/rc.d/mount* scripts (and especially without disturbing "mount -a".)
:
:The optional mounts should be specified in /etc/fstab, with "noauto",
:and /etc/rc.d/mountoptional should determine how/whether to mount them.
:The clever bit then becomes having a nice way to tell mountoptional what
:kind of rules to apply (defaulting, of course, to none.)

    noauto,ruleset1
    noauto,ruleset2
    noauto,ruleset3
    etc.

:But my rcng-fu is not very strong, so I've been spending this time
:trying to better comprehend rcng.  I have two questions, if someone is
:willing to field them:
:
:On or about the 17th, NetBSD and FreeBSD broke off mutual rcng
:synchronization.  Does DragonFly plan to stay synchronized?  If not,
:should the scripts be simplified to be OS specific, as NetBSD and
:FreeBSD have done - is this a good/bad idea?

    There isn't much of a reason to stay synchronized, it just adds more
    work as the bin's continue to diverge.

:idiom is used:
:
:	case $variable in
:		[Yy][Ee][Ss])
:			...
:		;;
:		*)
:			...
:		;;
:	esac
:
:Should these eventually migrate to using checkyesno?  Some but not all
:of them rely on the variable being either (e.g.) a program name, or
:"NO".  Perhaps a related function, just 'checkno' or something, could be
:used to clean up those sort of checks?
:
:-Chris

    Maybe.  Dunno.  I wouldn't worryabout it too much.