Defining device resources

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Thu Apr 30 09:21:40 PDT 2009

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> Most device resources are auto-configured by the kernel.  The
> kernel reads the PCI configuration space to see how things
> are mapped.  The functions are there to allow the device driver to
> access them.
>
> Almost none of it is user-configurable.  For example, changing how
> a PCI device is mapped is very difficult because you might have to
> run through several layers of bridge hardware to make sure the
> address space actually gets to the target device.

I don't want to change how a PCI device is mapped. I want to have a way to
say "if device someX appears, do something nonstandard during attach".

As far as I can see now these are used by "hints mechanism" in FreeBSD.
That's exactly I'm looking for, but there is no way to do it in
DragonFly? AFAICS there were a least some references to device.hints
file, but these were removed.

--
Hasso Tepper