Defining device resources

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Apr 30 08:47:42 PDT 2009

:
:AFAICS there are functions to read devices resources in kern/subr_bus.c,
:but how these should be used? How I should set resources - ie I as user?
:
:--
:Hasso Tepper

    Most device resources are auto-configured by the kernel.  The
    kernel reads the PCI configuration space to see how things
    are mapped.  The functions are there to allow the device driver to
    access them.

    Almost none of it is user-configurable.  For example, changing how
    a PCI device is mapped is very difficult because you might have to
    run through several layers of bridge hardware to make sure the
    address space actually gets to the target device.

					<dillon at backplane.com>