Naive HAMMER question

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 15 17:17:33 PST 2008

Bill Hacker wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:

...the filesystems, and
possibly even the kernel, should just be neutral about the whole mess
and allow (or at least not disallow) binary encodings, which is pretty
much how it works now.
[WBH]
Carrying encoding deeper than it otherwise needs to be also adds a great
deal of work to insure consistency. That need is pervasive and
never-ending.
Such overhead is avoidable if the lower levels remain as pure-binary and
usage-agnostic as possible...
I'm wondering about 'untrusted user input', which account for countless
buffer-overflow exploits, year after endless year.  Seems to me that a
file name is just one more type of 'untrusted user input' to add to the
pile.  Anyone have any thoughts about this?
As to the fs side - have a look here (imperfect - but handy):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
Yes, wikipedia is a goldmine of computer-geek wisdom.  Thanks for the
link.
Ironically, I can't test it on MY Mac's as '*BSD'ie that I am, my first
act in OS X setup is to reformat the drives to all-UFS....
Um, then what's the point of spending the extra money?  Trying to impress
the college co-eds?  :-D