Initial filesystem design synopsis.

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Feb 22 12:24:27 PST 2007

On Thu, February 22, 2007 1:30 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     HAMMER is a good name (though I dont like the expanded acronym).
>     I like HACFS better then HACRFS.
>
>     I like HAMMER better then HACFS but HACFS's expanded acronym is
>     better.

Semantically, we're putting the cart before the horse.  Acronyms are used
to describe something that has a name that would be inconvenient to
describe in full.  The name comes first.   Creating an acronym before we
have a name in use isn't going to work out, because it's not necessarily
helping anyone communicate.

The goal here is to get a good name, and everyone's thinking in acronyms
just because those are already common.  So: ignore the acronym.  We talk
about DragonFly, after all, not DragonFlyBSD.

If Hammer is a good name (which I agree on), let's use it.