RFC: backporting GEOM to the 4.x branch

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Feb 3 16:04:47 PST 2005

:dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
:
:>     I don't have any plans to backport GEOM.	We have plans to create a
:>     more generic device and vfs infrastructure, which is similar, but
:>     we have no plans to backport the actual GEOM code.
:
:When do you expect the VFS code to be ready for the implementation of such
:a GEOM-like layer? Also, do you intend to keep the API and the terminology
:compliant with that of GEOM?
:
:ALeine

    There is no ETA for this stuff, and no, the API will not be compatible
    with GEOM.  You seem to be quite fixated on GEOM.  I consider it an
    interesting subproject but trying to port it would bind us to the FreeBSD
    BIO model which isn't all that good as far as I am concerned.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>