XFree86 4.4?

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Fri Mar 19 13:03:14 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:28:35AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :It's certainly worth keeping an eye on.  I'll try compiling it if I
> :get some free time.  Keith Packard is a guy who made pioneering
> :contributions (render extension, xrandr, etc) that did a lot to
> :"modernise" the X window system, but his ideas tended to clash with
> :the "core team"'s view of things; he was eventually forced out and his
> :commit bit removed, and he took that opportunity to start his own
> :project which would take the X server in new and unexplored
> :directions.  The parallels are striking...
> :
> :Rahul
>
>     Ah, you mean I finally have a Drinking Buddy ?  :-)

I've talked to a him several times, listened to him talk as various
Usenix conferences. The dude is very sharp, progressive and can discuss
a number of heavy computer science topics (publically/privately) at a
very proficient level, from operating systems, priority inheritance,
garbage collection, to parameter/variant types in his own programming
language, etc... certainly a great gift to open source community. These
are exactly the kind of folks that you need to do design level development
in any project, since they have both depth, breath and have the overall
design clearly in their heads.

I implictly trust this person's decisions and will personally support
anything he wants to achieve. Folks, leaders, like this are needed in
the open source community that have a level head and can push a project
forward technically and politically. Without this, we'd be out on the
streets sitting on our respective asses.

bill