feedback ( testing DF on an NEC Versa FM320 laptop)

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 26 17:46:33 PDT 2004

Hello list,

I took DF out for a spin on my laptop and I thought that reading
feedback could be amusing at doll moments :-)
First of all kudos to the team, the last time I was that impressed with
an OS was when I switched from NT to FreeBSD 4.4

My first impression (only using it for a couple of hours) is that it
feels like FBSD4, with functionality of 5.
On a second view the structure (from a users view) is IMHO more logical
and cleaner than FBSD (I'm sorry that I can only refer to that OS
because it is the only one I have some UNIX experience in, besides some
glaring at linux and NetBSD/OpenBSD).

I deeply regret that I can not be of any good assistance other then just
 test it as my desktop OS (installing a test server tomorrow) and
report back anything I see.

I really like the live-cd installer idea, installing DF was a breeze,
although the first time I didn't get it booting , but reinstalling with
all options in the "boot selector installation phase" set works the way
I expected (I dual boot it with XP).
However I wonder where the geometry warning went, which I used to see
when installing FBSD.

For the interested I made a dmesg and other text outputs like pciconf
and kernel config, which can be located at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mhellwig/dfbfeedback/ .

I hope this post was amusing enough to read  till this line :-) and the
text outputs where worth clicking, more feedback will arrive (sooner or
later).

--
mph
$ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/bikeshed.sh