Matt's schedule for this week

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Nov 11 23:22:41 PST 2003

:Do you foresee any issues for which we wouldn't want to make gcc 3.x
:default for everything ? If we are going to look at going ahead with a
:newer gcc(as we should), I think we should go ahead and put forth the
:effort to make everything compile cleanly under it. I couldn't see the
:actual time required to be more than 3 or 4 days, this including the
:userland.
:
:-DR

    The timeline is going to be at least a month, maybe two, before
    gcc 3.x can become the default.  There are a lot of issues when making
    any major compiler upgrade not the least of which being that even after
    one has dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's, the compiler could
    still have something in its guts that throws someone for a loop.

    We have the advantage of a slightly older 3.x in 5.x which we can compare
    against the base to see what needs to be patched up, but I am still going
    to be very careful.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>