building X on DragonFly

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Dec 9 11:54:27 PST 2003

:Yeah... I installed from the DragonFly snapshot and then have been
:CVSuping
:ever since.  Is there any other step I should take to make sure I do
:this cleanly?
:
:I can't build the kernel today either.

    Ok.  If you are still having problems building X post the exact
    shell commands you used to build it (e.g. cd /usr/ports/...; make... )
    and the last 100 lines of output from the failed build.  Post it to
    the bugs list.

    I'm pretty sure it is just cockpit trouble but I may be able to recognize
    exactly which cockpit trouble it is having spent a whole day messging
    with X a few days ago.

    In re: the kernel if you still have problems post your kernel config
    and failed buildkernel output to bugs@

:>     It took a lot of work, er, hacking, to get XFree86 to compile.  If
:> after
:>     all of that there are still problems, post the tail end of the
:> output to
:>     the list.
:>
:
:I don't even see the XFree86-Server port... just libs.  I am doing
:CVSup and
:cvs update -dP to get that.
:
:>     KDE and Gnome are another deal entirely... they would require a
:> lot more
:>     work to get working.
:>
:
:Yep.  I don't really have the time or interest to work on GNOME but I
:will see what
:I can do for KDE.  Its probably not going to be a one-man job in the
:long run though.

    Which just reinforces my desire to help you to get XFree working on
    your box :-)

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>