building X on DragonFly

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 11:48:26 PST 2003

On Dec 9, 2003, at 1:18 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:

:On Dec 9, 2003, at 11:23 AM, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
:
:> David Leimbach <leimbacd at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:>> Any ideas?  I'd like to take a swing at compiling KDE on it.
:>
:> XFree86, from the ports tree (and the dfports tree) will build just
:> fine.  KDE and Gnome, however, both fail to build at this time.
:
:I disagree... the regular ports tree XFree86 failed on my box.
:but I was building the server.
:
:I am still interested in seeing why KDE doesn't build. :)
:
:Dave
    Be sure you have a completely fresh build/installworld and
completely
    fresh ports and dfports, then deinstall the dependant ports (in
particular
    imake) and rebuild and reinstall.
Yeah... I installed from the DragonFly snapshot and then have been
CVSuping
ever since.  Is there any other step I should take to make sure I do
this cleanly?

I can't build the kernel today either.

    It took a lot of work, er, hacking, to get XFree86 to compile.  If
after
    all of that there are still problems, post the tail end of the
output to
    the list.

I don't even see the XFree86-Server port... just libs.  I am doing
CVSup and
cvs update -dP to get that.

    KDE and Gnome are another deal entirely... they would require a
lot more
    work to get working.

Yep.  I don't really have the time or interest to work on GNOME but I
will see what
I can do for KDE.  Its probably not going to be a one-man job in the
long run though.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>