Usernames > 16 characters

Oliver Fromme olli at secnetix.de
Wed Aug 13 10:33:38 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> That said, it is obvious that 8 was too small and so it was bumped up
> to 16.  The question is would it be reasonable to bump it up to, say,
> 32?  I can't imagine making it larger then 32 but I can see some valid
> arguments to going from 16 to 32 and perhaps bumping up the hostname
> field in utmp.h at the same time.
While you're at it, I could also use a larger MNAMELEN.

It's pretty annoying that (Free)BSD has that 80 characters limit,
while Solaris and Linux don't.  It made me look pretty dumb when
I wasn't able to mount stuff from a filer in a heterogenous farm
of servers.  The names of the NFS mounts were just too long for
the BSD machines.  (I finally managed to work around it, but it
was annoying nonetheless.)
Regards
  Oliver