Hammer linux port

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Apr 16 00:34:43 PDT 2009

:Hello,
:
:> Yes it will.  My student Daniel just started working on the port to
:> Linux!  I guess he will soon hail a hello and post a link to his blog of
:> the port.
:
:That would be me.
:
:So far, I've been mainly working with hammerread.c, the stripped-down
:version of the file system. I ported hammerread.c to Linux and wrapped a
:FUSE module around it, so you can now mount and read a HAMMER filesystem
:on Linux.
:
:You can get the files from http://hammerfs.googlepages.com/ or  follow
:my blag on http://hammerfs-ftw.blogspot.com/. The code is
:proof-of-concept quality, so don't expect too much.
:
:The next thing to do is to get comfortable with Linux VFS. I am
:currently reading into how the page cache works. Then, I'll do a Linux
:VFS + hammerread.c and as a final step the full HAMMER filesystem +
:Linux VFS.
:
:Keeping a FUSE port around would be nice, too, especially for MacFUSE.
:But let me do Linux VFS first :)
:
:Cheers,
:Daniel

    Hello Daniel!  I'm available over email and irc for any help you might
    need (#dragonflybsd on efnet).

    It may be possible to bypass the buffer cache layer by hanging the
    buffers directly off the hammer_io structure and adding a little
    LRU management to limit kernel memory use.  I kinda designed it
    with that possibility in mind to make porting easier.

					<dillon at backplane.com>