dhcpcd now in dfly - disabled by default, tests needed

Daniel Bilik ddb at neosystem.org
Fri Nov 16 01:10:59 PST 2018

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 15:59:47 +0800
Aaron LI <aly at aaronly.me> wrote:

> Just report the success/failure in this mailing list is OK

OK, here we go... I've just tested a setup with dhcpcd following
instructions from your original post. System really has chosen dhcpcd
instead of dhclient during boot, but was unable to acquire an address.
This is excerpt from a log:

---
Starting dhcpcd.
em0: waiting for carrier

(notably long delay here)

timed out

dhcpcd exited

wlan0: driver didn't set altq_maxlen
wlan0: MAC address: 34:02:xx:xx:xx:xx
Starting wpa_supplicant.
Starting dhcpcd.
wlan0: waiting for carrier

wlan0: ieee80211_new_state_locked: pending SCAN -> AUTH transition lost
wlan0: carrier acquired

DUID 00:01:00:01:23:81:31:88:34:02:xx:xx:xx:xx

wlan0: IAID xx:xx:xx:xx

wlan0: soliciting a DHCP lease

wlan0: offered 10.x.x.x from 10.x.x.x

wlan0: probing address 10.x.x.x/21

timed out

dhcpcd exited
---

Timeout on em0 was expected as the cable was not connected, just the delay
waiting for a carrier was annoying. But dhcpcd failed to get an address
also on wlan0, even though it got link.

After adding dhcpcd_flags="-b -t 0" to rc.conf, the system successfully
gets an address during boot. But comparing it to dhclient, it takes a
little longer to get the connectivity. I suspect this is related to
"transition lost" error (see above) that I don't get with dhclient.

--
						Daniel