dhcpcd now in dfly - disabled by default, tests needed

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Fri Nov 16 05:52:58 PST 2018

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 10:10:59 +0100
Daniel Bilik <ddb at neosystem.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 15:59:47 +0800
> Aaron LI <aly at aaronly.me> wrote:
>
> > Just report the success/failure in this mailing list is OK
>
> OK, here we go... I've just tested a setup with dhcpcd following
> instructions from your original post. System really has chosen dhcpcd
> instead of dhclient during boot, but was unable to acquire an address.
> This is excerpt from a log:
>
> ---
> Starting dhcpcd.
> em0: waiting for carrier
>
> (notably long delay here)
>
> timed out
>
> dhcpcd exited

OK, dhcpcd will wait for a lease until timeout (seems 30 seconds).
Adding '-b' option tells dhcpcd to fork to background immediately.

> wlan0: driver didn't set altq_maxlen
> wlan0: MAC address: 34:02:xx:xx:xx:xx
> Starting wpa_supplicant.
> Starting dhcpcd.
> wlan0: waiting for carrier
>
> wlan0: ieee80211_new_state_locked: pending SCAN -> AUTH transition lost
> wlan0: carrier acquired
>
> DUID 00:01:00:01:23:81:31:88:34:02:xx:xx:xx:xx
>
> wlan0: IAID xx:xx:xx:xx
>
> wlan0: soliciting a DHCP lease
>
> wlan0: offered 10.x.x.x from 10.x.x.x
>
> wlan0: probing address 10.x.x.x/21
>
> timed out
>
> dhcpcd exited
> ---

I don't know why dhcpcd exited here.  I'll find time to test it on my
ThinkPad X200 for the wireless part.

> Timeout on em0 was expected as the cable was not connected, just the delay
> waiting for a carrier was annoying. But dhcpcd failed to get an address
> also on wlan0, even though it got link.
>
> After adding dhcpcd_flags="-b -t 0" to rc.conf, the system successfully
> gets an address during boot. But comparing it to dhclient, it takes a
> little longer to get the connectivity. I suspect this is related to
> "transition lost" error (see above) that I don't get with dhclient.

According to the dhcpcd(8) man page, '-t 0' seems to mean waiting forever...
you can test with other values about the '-t' option.

One more thing, I don't know whether you tell dhcpcd to obtain *both* IPv4
and IPv6.  If so, I expect dhcpcd can take a bit longer than dhclient, which
only supports IPv4.

Thanks for the nice report.

Cheers,
--