Ravenports, what's missing for you?

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Mon Jul 30 08:27:46 PDT 2018

On 7/30/2018 02:54, Michael Neumann wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 04:24:06PM -0500, John Marino wrote:
>
> The main show-stopper for me is that the version of xorg-server in
> Raveport's is too recent and somehow doesn't function with our radeon
> drivers.

I expect this would soon be a problem in dports too, then.

> Rust is another issue, but I think it's already in a bad state in
> Dports. I started working on a Rust port for Ravenports, but in the end
> gave up, because the compilers used by Ravenports and the DragonFly base
> system were different and led to a couple of issues I couldnt fix easily.

If you can keep the bootstrap compilers current (as needed for dports)
then I'm confident I can develop a ravenports source port.  It's just
that we'll need that bootstrap compiler updated with each release (or at
least every other release) of rust, otherwise it's going to be too
stagnant.

> On the server side, I would miss dovecot, rspamd, opensmtpd or postfix.

ok

> IMHO, Ravenports should get more attention from the DragonFly users, so
> that the missing pieces are added more quickly.

That would indeed be nice.

John