hammer slave

Vasily Postnicov shamaz.mazum at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:51:43 PDT 2015

A little addition: as far as I know it is recommended to mount PFSes using
nullfs. Mountpoint will then represent your slave pseudo-filesystem in the
state when mount was done. So if you decide to run hammer mirror-copy on
that PFS and it is in progress, your mount still will be in consistent
state. You will need to remount it to see changes made by mirroring. Also
as I remember, you cannot create a PFS inside another PFS, but you can
mount, for example /var/crash inside /var, using nullfs and different PFSes
for both.

You can also use @@ hammer notation to access PFSes and/or snapshots rather
then softlinks. For example, you can mount a snapshot using this scheme:

mount -t null /pfs/@@0x<16 digits transaction id>:<5 digits PFS number>
/mountpoint

By the way, why 5 digits are used for numbering a PFS in this notation?
Isn't PFS numbering space just 16 bits wide?