Can /var be on a separate partition?

Sven Gaerner sgaerner at gmx.net
Thu May 9 07:06:09 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 01:59:09AM -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> I'm setting up the box that has an SSD and an HDD. Right now everything that's
> mounted is on the SSD. I made three partitions on the HDD: a backup boot
> partition, a 75 GB plaintext Hammer volume, and the rest (449 GB) for an
> encrypted Hammer volume. As this is going to be my router, it must come up
> even if I'm not here to type in the password, so all filesystems on the
> encrypted volume will be mounted manually. I'm thinking of putting /var on the
> hard disk, since it gets continuous traffic in /var/log. But it also contains
> /var/hammer. Can /var/hammer be on a different partition than the root
> filesystem?
>
> Pierre

There should be no problem in putting /var on the harddisk. I also had a setup
some time ago where /var and /tmp were located on a harddisk while the other
PFS like / and /usr were located on an SSD.

AFAIR there was a thread on the mailing list with some recommendations how to
configure the PFS when it is placed on an SSD. Reblock and rebalance should be
run less frequent than it is configured by default.

Sven