Can /var be on a separate partition?

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Wed May 8 22:59:09 PDT 2013

I'm setting up the box that has an SSD and an HDD. Right now everything that's
mounted is on the SSD. I made three partitions on the HDD: a backup boot
partition, a 75 GB plaintext Hammer volume, and the rest (449 GB) for an
encrypted Hammer volume. As this is going to be my router, it must come up
even if I'm not here to type in the password, so all filesystems on the
encrypted volume will be mounted manually. I'm thinking of putting /var on the
hard disk, since it gets continuous traffic in /var/log. But it also contains
/var/hammer. Can /var/hammer be on a different partition than the root
filesystem?

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji