Postgresql HOWTO?

Petr Janda elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Fri Sep 8 20:11:05 PDT 2006

Hi,
1) Uninstall all postgres packages from your machine
You can do step number 2 in 2 ways:
2a) echo 'PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=yes' >> /etc/mk.conf
or this way
2b) ln -s /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/pgsql /etc/rc.d/
The 'a' way is better imo.

2) Install databases/postgres_81
3) echo 'pgsql=YES' >> /etc/rc.conf
4) Start up pgsql: /etc/rc.d/pgsql start
5) Add pgsql superuser: su - pgsql
6) "createuser root" and follow instructions till it returns you back to
command line, make sure you make a superuser account. The instructions
will ask you what type of account you want to create.
7) type exit and enter, which takes you back to your root account.
8) createdb testdb;
9) cd /usr/pkg/pgsql/data
10) Open pg_hba.conf and play with permissions, learn how to set
permissions in pgsql.

After you create the super user you can add any other accounts with the
createuser command with your regular root account and you DONT need to
su - pgsql anymore.

Petr

Adrian M. Nida wrote:
All,

Today I got some time to actually work on some DF related things at home.  I
wanted to install Gallery [0] so I could share some pics to family members (the
other reason was that my DF box ran Gallery back in the pre-1.2 days).
Happily, I found Gallery isn't in pkgsrc.  The source install consists of a
bunch of php files, so I was fine with that.

During the installation process, Gallery asks for a database connection.
Thinking I had PostgreSQL [1] installed, I tried to run it against that.  To my
surprise I discovered that this box only had the client, not the server,
installed.  I completed a source install of /usr/pkgsrc/postgresql80-server and
tried to run it.

At this point, I discovered that pkgsrc does not install *any* PostgreSQL
startup files.  I have a bunch of sample config files in /usr/pkg/share/
postgresql, but nothing that looks like a startup.  I'm also assuming that the
config files are supposed to go in /usr/pkg/etc/postgresql.

My question is whether anyone out there has a PostgreSQL (8.0) HOWTO?  I tried
the combinations "pkgsrc postgresql howto" and "netbsd postgresql howto" on
Google [2] but neither returned anything remotely useful.  Heck, at this point
I'd appreciate just some general pointers/clarifications.

As many of you know, I'm quite content writing a HOWTO (and slaving through the
labor of what works and what doesn't) from scratch.  I'm just trying to figure
out far "scratch" actually is.

Thanks,

Adrian

[0] http://gallery.sourceforge.net/