COMPAQ Pentium4 dies on boot.

Glen Johnson gjohnson at valcom.com
Mon Nov 20 11:57:08 PST 2006

post
DFly BSD,
Over the past year I have downloaded both versions 1.4 and 1.6 to see
how they run on some COMPAQ computers.  Both of these versions do not
work on these COMPAQ computers.  Here is what I do see before it dies.
    DragonFly/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
    (root @, Sun Jul 23 15:51:45 PDT 2006)

    Dump of CPU registers.
    BTX halted

This COMPAQ computer is a 1.8GHz  Pentium 4 with 512MB of ram.  This is
not an ancient machine by my standards and am surpprised to see this.  I
am not pointing my finger at DFly BSD exactly.  FreeBSD 4.11 uses the
BTX loader and the COMPAQ chokes on that too.  It does however work with
FreeBSD 4.7.
Are there any work arounds or fixes for this?

Thanks,
Glen Johnson