Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

Rob Andrews rob at choralone.org
Wed Jun 14 09:39:07 PDT 2006

On 14-Jun-2006 17:25.57 (BST), Emiel Kollof wrote:
 > >      (1) Either bring postfix into base or integrate it into the NRELEASE
 > > 	 infrastructure as a package.
 > >
 > >      (2) Provide an RC option to select postfix instead of sendmail as the
 > > 	 MTA.
 > What about things like mysql/pgsql/sasl and other things you can hook up to
 > postfix? There should be a way to add support for those things as well...

That would depend on having MySQL/pgsql/sasl client libraries in the
base system. At the moment they're enable-ables in pkgsrc.

I was going to recommend (but refrained just in case I got roasted) that
the mailer is installed by the install media as a pkgsrc package, in the
same way that cdrtools is. If you then wanted the additional support of
these extra packages, you could put the option blurb into /etc/mk.conf
and rebuild the postfix package.

My worry would be that if postfix is in the base system, and you
configure extra options and install it in pkgsrc, are some parts of the
system going to call the wrong binaries? This would provide an argument
to remove the mailer from the base system altogether and have a
local-only stub mailer left in.

My $2 worth, anyway.

--
rob andrews                       :: pgp 0xb35ff721 :: rob at xxxxxxxxxxxxx