Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

Claus Assmann dragonfly-users at esmtp.org
Wed Jun 14 09:38:46 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Not enough functionality.  A basic refusal by the authors to bring

Which functionality is missing? Usually sm8 is considered the MTA
with the most functionality.

>     the feature set into the 21st century.  The code is a huge mess.  They

What did the authors refuse?

>     added threading without dealing with races.  They added all sorts of

sendmail 8 has threads only in libmilter. Where are the race
conditions?

Note: I _really_ would like to know this. I agree that the sm8 code
is a (20 year old) "mess", but I do not know about those items that
you mention above (and I should know as I'm the maintainer of
sendmail).

>     junk without cleaning up the existing junk.  I never liked the sendmail
>     code but I really *HATE* it now.

That's why I am writing sendmail X. Give it a try.
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-X/