pkg_chk replacement?

joerg at britannica.bec.de joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Jan 24 10:14:24 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 04:27:10PM +0100, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> Seems like all the outdated packages are deinstalled by pkg_chk before
> they get upgraded to a more recent version.

And what should it do different? Don't do live builds on a server, the
down time is always unpredictable. Using inplace updates still breaks
the software for a certain window if successful, and can result in
silent breakage being detected much later. That's why I rejected the
addition of replace-all recently on tech-pkg.

If you want to have consistent updates and a predicatable downtime,
build the software in a jail / chroot as binary packages and use those
to update. That's also the easiest solution if you want to actually test
them before using them in production...

Joerg