Getting tired of 5.3

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Wed Dec 15 08:52:18 PST 2004

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Well, I think that is overstating things a bit.  Many parts of
> the system sped up very noticeably between 5.2-release and
> 5.3-release.

Yes, all applications which have a lot of network activity run
much faster.

> I am not sure if "user responsiveness" has, because
> I (personally) do not use FreeBSD for my desktop.  I use it for
> running some services, and for what are essentially "batch jobs".

I run the machine as a desktop, and i can say that user responsiveness
is good for FreeBSD-5.3. Sure there are bugs, i can see them if i try
5.3 on a laptop. There are considerable number of bugs in the USB stack,
and this is extremely detrimental for everyday use.
But on a simple uniprocessor desktop i have it works
*very* well. I have around a hundred Fedora Core 3 machines in my lab,
so i think i have an idea of the user responsiveness of recent Linux 2.6.
It is nowhere much better than FreeBSD-5 as some of you are implying,
it is very similar at best.
Of course this doesn't imply in any way that dragonflybsd is less
performing or whatever. Simply that FreeBSD-5 is not as poor as some
are saying. And, by the way, i have tested Netbsd-2.0 since the same people
claim it is so much faster than FreeBSD-5. For me it is ways slower.

--
Michel Talon