Getting tired of 5.3

Guillermo Garcia Rojas garciarojas at solobsd.org
Wed Dec 15 08:36:58 PST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:44:21 +0100, Weapon of Mass Deduction wrote:

> I would advise you to wait until the 1.1-release.
> Unless you're in a hurry, of course.
>
> I just installed NetBSD 2.0, and it also seems superior to FreeBSD 5.1 -
> 5.3. The installer is way better, and though it currently runs a GENERIC
> kernel it works like a charm. The bootup-process is visibly more complex
> (not in the way that it requires input from the user), but way more
> solid and faster. And I'm totally unbiassed, that's certain.
>
> So use NetBSD 2.0 if you seek a stable and fast BSD, and switch to the
> technically superior DragonFly-BSD when the time is right.
>
> That's my opinion at least, but you wouldn't want to be left
> dissatisfied because DragonFly-BSD doesn't live up to your expectations,
> do you?
>
> P.S.:
> The ports-system of DF is still in its early stage of development, so if
> you have requirements on that aspect, you'd be better of with the stable
> NetBSD pkgsrc for now. (It is in freeze currently, new major release
> this week.)

Certainly, I'm not in a hurry, is just my desktop machine, no servers, no
weird services, just X, music, and internet access.

I've not tried NetBSD yet, but I will, for the moment I'm reading books
about FreeBSD and the Handbook and want to master it a little bit, then I
can move on to NetBSD and so on.

I think I will run under DragonFly, but doing it from scratch, in a few
days more, 'cause I have upgraded the whole GNOME monster to 2.8.x and my
wife isn't very happy on the long process it took, I need to move all my
stuff from my box to my DragonFly box and then take it back to my new DF
and it's a very tedious work. But the beastie...dragon fly inside my is
pushing me to make the switch xD.

Maybe I'll try it today :)