Ripping CDs

Roland Hammerle rjh at who.net
Fri Dec 31 11:48:27 PST 2004

Hi there,

I tried to rip a CD using GNOME's sound juicer. After having to install
not only sound juicer but also cdparanoia (before building
gstreamer-plugins) it still didn't work.

After some testing I figured out that some devices did not have the
proper permissions. It seems that at least the following devices have to
be changed so that a normal user can rip CDs:

/dev/pass*
/dev/cd*
/dev/xpt*
I set them all to 666 (sound juicer opens them with RW flag set, so I
think they must be writable as well even though they are just CDs).

What is the proper way of doing this, though? Are all devices needed and
which permissions should they be set to?

Thanks for your advice,
Roland