Make ums(4) present the mouse as a sysmouse type device by default

Laurent Sartran lsartran at no-log.org
Wed Feb 15 03:59:29 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:02:38AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I don't know if changing the default mode for ums would break other
>     things or not.  Could sysmouse be modified to change UMS's default mode
>     instead?  It's probably an ioctl() of some sot.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Indeed, ums provides a MOUSE_SETMODE ioctl for that.

I've just stumbled upon an undocumented switch of moused, -l, which should let
the user force the level (mode) of the device. It appears neither in the man
page, nor in usage. Anyway, I couldn't get it to work without problems: in
level 0, moused displays an error about an unappropriate ioctl(), and in level
1, the mouse is painfully slow in X.org.

I'm a little bit lost with all that: I can't get moused to work correctly with
my mouse, and I have to modify ums(4) to use the right mode by default.
I guess I'll try to write a little oneliner to set it using ioctl(), which will
be loaded at startup...

Regards,

Laurent Sartran