Make ums(4) present the mouse as a sysmouse type device by default

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Feb 13 08:03:48 PST 2006

:Hello,
:
:I've ran into problems trying to get all the buttons of my Logitech MX 310 USB
:mouse to work on DragonFly 1.4-RELEASE with Xorg 6.9.
:
:I had the following lines in my xorg.conf:
:    Option "Protocol" "auto"
:    Option "Device"   "/dev/ums0"
:...
:
:Of course, xorg.conf needs to be modified to use this protocol:
:    Option "Protocol" "sysmouse"
:    Option "Device"   "/dev/ums0"
:
:Now the wheel and the extra buttons (to go back/forward in a browser) all work,
:which makes me a happy DFBSD user !
:I don't know if this patch is the right way to fix the problem (IIRC, I didn't
:manage to fix it using moused), but it works for me, so it may be useful to
:someone else.
:
:Regards,
:
:Laurent Sartran

    I don't know if changing the default mode for ums would break other
    things or not.  Could sysmouse be modified to change UMS's default mode
    instead?  It's probably an ioctl() of some sot.