rm -I patch (Re: Protection from the dreaded "rm -fr /")

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Oct 5 23:50:24 PDT 2004

:Not to be nitpicky, but this should have sed -i -e s/then/than/g

    Already fixed.

:Additionally, I'd suggest a different monicker than ``dumb-user'' --
:I've accidentally wiped several things several times with a screwed up
:rm -rf. Ok, you could argue that I'm not the smartest guy, but ... ;)
:Perhaps:
:
:This is an option perhaps more suitable for reducing accidents than
:.Fl i
:
:--Devon

    I'll let one of the docs guys clean that up.  I agree, actually.  It's
    useful for experienced sysops as well.  I've turned it on by default on
    crater and my workstation just to see how (hopefully not) annoying it
    is.

    Occassionally a BEST Internet sysop (cira 1996) would accidently blow
    away the wrong thing running 'rm -rf' as root.  User directories, the
    whole of /u1 once (about a thousand user directories).  But the worst
    occured on one of the SGI boxes where rm decided to follow symlinks in
    a particular situation (I forget exactly which), and a sysop trying to
    remove a user's directory wound up destroying, well, a huge amount of
    data before he realized something was wrong and hit ^C.  Fortunately
    we had backups.