rm -I patch (Re: Protection from the dreaded "rm -fr /")

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Wed Oct 6 01:22:21 PDT 2004

-On [20041006 08:52], Matthew Dillon (dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>    But the worst occured on one of the SGI boxes where rm decided to
>    follow symlinks in a particular situation (I forget exactly which), and
>    a sysop trying to remove a user's directory wound up destroying, well,
>    a huge amount of data before he realized something was wrong and hit
>    ^C.

I am not sure which OS it was I was messing with recently, could've been
Solaris or Linux, but I did a chown with -R on a dir, and it happily did the
ascending through .. as well. :-\

Spoilt by BSD...

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://ashemedai.deviantart.com/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
I dream of gardens in the desert sand...