Import widechar support from FreeBSD

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Mon Nov 1 22:28:47 PST 2004

-On [20041101 18:12], Joerg Sonnenberger (joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>I'm currently working on getting the Citrus code ready for inclusion.
>One important problem is that because of how FreeBSD 4 historically
>handled e.g. ctype macros, I will have to create some compatibility
>functions to keep the ABI intact. I don't want to bump libc's major
>at this time.

If it needs to be bumped, it needs to be bumped.

One problem I foresee is that if we want to keep too much of a close tie to
FreeBSD's APIs and ABIs we are going to limit ourselves.

Yes, at one point it makes things easier for us, but at the other it totally
doesn't.

What's so against bumping the ABI?

(Personally I think we should rip the last vestiges of FreeBSD from the code
and the dfports in order to get more active on making DragonFly supported.
I've been sending patches upstream, have you? -aimed at the general audience
reading this-)

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://ashemedai.deviantart.com/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
Soul meets soul when eyes meet eyes...