RFC gawk update

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Mar 2 08:04:28 PST 2004

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:01:16 +0100, ibotty wrote:

>> What's wrong with the awk one in the base system? gawk should be part
>> of package; not in the base system since we already have one. No need
>> to add the more of junk in the base system when most of people are
>> trying to get rid of junk and turn them into package.
>>
>> BTW: Last time I checked, awk is faster, smaller and has lesser bugs
>> than gawk.
>
> correct me if im wrong, but...
> first of all, our (bsdl) awk is built as nawk, gawk is build as awk.
>
> so we allready do have gawk in base, so i see no point in not updating
> it.

Oops, you are right.. I guess, FreeBSD 5.x has removed the gawk? I can't
find it anywhere in the base system but port. one-true-awk is only one awk
that I can find. I just checked in the DragonFly's cvsweb and I see there
have two awk (gawk) and one-true-awk.

> nevertheless, i dont know, whether nawk is worse than gawk... if both
> are posix compliant, we could remove gawk.

I think, either one of awk should be remove. I don't care which one. :-)

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.