rcrun: savecore and swap1 patch

Peter Kadau peter.kadau at tuebingen.mpg.de
Sat Dec 13 16:43:34 PST 2003

Hi !

    I wouldn't worry about one-offs like savecore.  For something like
    savecore the only appropriate return values are RC_CONFIGURED or
    RC_IRRELEVANT (maybe I should rename IRRELEVANT to INAPLICABLE :-)).
Well, I'd opt for RC_CONFIGURED in the RCNG framework as it is now.
Just because irrelevant means "I don't need this at all here", but
if I said savecore in rc.conf I'd be rather confused to see it in state
"irrelevant". And it would be even more confusing for "localswap".
    This does bring up the fact that we need to differentiate between
    boot-time ordering issues and run-time dependancies.
Hmm, I see two different approaches towards that.
First one: Let the rcng scripts that are only relevant to boot
return RC_CONFIGURED or RC_IRRELEVANT as appropriate.
Second one: A new rcorder header word like ESTABLISHES and a new
rcrun state "established" which can't change.
The problem being that those ordering issues (boot vs. runtime)
are kind of orthogonal.
Cheers
Peter
--
<peter.kadau at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Campus der Max-Planck-Institute Tübingen