rcrun: savecore and swap1 patch

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Dec 13 16:02:34 PST 2003

:This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
:--------------010203020104050205040100
:
:Hi !
:
:Would you please consider this ?
:Any commects on style and functionality are welcome.
:
:I'm rather unpleased by unconditionally returning
:RC_CONFIGURED in savecore, but I couldn't come up with an
:idea how to *check* it like I could with swap1.
:
:Cheers
:Peter
:
:--
:<peter.kadau at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    This is great, exactly the type of submissions I am looking for!

    I wouldn't worry about one-offs like savecore.  For something like
    savecore the only appropriate return values are RC_CONFIGURED or
    RC_IRRELEVANT (maybe I should rename IRRELEVANT to INAPLICABLE :-)).

    This does bring up the fact that we need to differentiate between
    boot-time ordering issues and run-time dependancies.  Obviously we
    do not want to prevent later RC scripts from being runnable via
    rcstart/rcstop if savecore were to return a FAILURE condition, but
    RCNG does not yet do that sort of differentiation.