HAMMER Update - 16-July-2008

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jul 17 17:58:37 PDT 2008

    I've committed most of the 'lets pull the USB cord and see what happens'
    work.

    I've also committed a ton of HAMMER work that allows it to handle
    catastrophic I/O errors (aka the same pulling of the USB cord) and
    still be able to umount and remount the sucker.

    CAM still has a few memory leaks, and there could be additional bugs
    that can cause panics.  I am going to continue messing with it and
    try to track down the memory leaks, and any additional panics I come
    across.

    I used the same HAMMER filesystem on my external drive through all the
    testing, which involved starting up a big cpdup to the filesystem and
    then pulling the USB plug in the middle of it.  I pulled the plug at
    least 50 times while debugging the panics and crashes and didn't lose
    the filesystem.   I think that's pretty cool :-)

					<dillon at backplane.com>