HAMMER Update - 16-July-2008

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jul 17 17:27:47 PDT 2008

:Now that you brought it up -- what would you expect to happen if
:you did pull the power plug?
:

    If you physically power down a hard drive by pulling its power plug,
    and it happens to have been writing at th etime, you have a very good
    chance of destroying the disk.

    This happened to me a year or two ago... remember when I posted about
    having to restore crater from backups?  A power failure and no UPS
    software caused my systems to do an uncontrolled power down and I wound
    up with multiple disk errors and lost several disks.

					<dillon at backplane.com>