Globbing (was Re: HAMMER update 10-Feb-2008)

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Tue Feb 12 00:38:27 PST 2008

Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr> writes:
> Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
>> I'm
>> expressing frustration that we don't have a solution that fixes both
>> problems.  Or rather, that we have a solution that causes a problem.
> Without meaning to offend anyone, this is a user education problem.

I believe this is a user education problem too. As an educator, it is
indeed a problem for me to educate users who expect "simplicity and
elegance" about the side case of expanding too many arguments on one's
command line. (Wasn't someone in IRC talking about "simplicity and
elegance" as the basis of what makes a good language?)

I still think my MH side case is a good example of wanting more argument
space, but most of you here have never heard of MH. Maybe HAMMER will
find a way to filename glob without taking memory, who knows?

I'm no longer arguing for or against this, mostly because it has become
clear to me that this forum is inappropriate for arguing for the needs
of users or the removal of limits. :)
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

Learn to be as analytical about things of which you are
credulous as you are of those which you criticise.