Plans for 1.5

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 18 06:41:58 PST 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
<cut>

			     STAGE 3 - ZFS PORT
			  Starting March or April!
    I am really quite impressed with Sun's ZFS.  People wishing to look at
    the Sun ZFS code can find it on LEAF in the OpenSolaris source tree:
	cd /archive/OpenSolaris-20051207/usr/src/

	    common/zfs
	    uts/common/fs/zfs
	    uts/sparc/zfs
	    uts/intel/zfs
	    cmd/fs.d/zfs
	    cmd/mdb/common/modules/zfs
	    cmd/mdb/intel/ia32/zfs
	    cmd/mdb/intel/amd64/zfs
	    cmd/mdb/sparc/v9/zfs
	    cmd/zfs
    I have perused the ZFS code and I am impressed.  Very impressed!  It is
    well documented, nicely modular, and easy to read.
    I am tentatively scheduling the port for March.  It may occur sooner or
    later then that (hopefully sooner), but I just don't know how hard
    STAGE 2 is going to be.

    I really want to start the port immediately, but I think I am really
    going to need userland VFS working for such a port to be able to proceed
    at a good clip.
Very exciting stuff indeed, as I read through the documentation and
watched the demos on http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/ I
become curious how you are going to implement the NFSv4 like ACL scheme?
Also I am a bit confused in how deeply you planned to use ZFS.
Is this like only root in UFS and the rest in ZFS? How about swap?

--
mph