Suggested reading for learning C?

Zera Holladay zera at m-net.arbornet.org
Sun Sep 12 20:04:46 PDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

> On 11.09.2004, at 03:49, Joshua Coombs wrote:
> > So, I'm starting to actually put some code out instead of just
> > waiting for someone to impliment my ideas.  Problem is I'm modifying
> > what to me is pretty high level C while only just able to read it
> > let alone know what I'm actually doing.  Does anyone have a
> > suggestion or three for reading material to help get myself up to
> > speed?
> >
> > (For refrence, I'm working on a base proof of concept build of my
> > routing engine proposal from awhile back.  Hopefully by the time I
> > get it working fully DF will be ready to impliment it.)
>
> nice! I already thought that we lost you on the way... :)
> wouldn't be easier to implement a prototype/proof of concept in a
> higher level language?
>
> anyways, the book "the c programming language" by kernighan and ritchie
> and the stuff by stevens (advanced programming in the UNIX environment)
> are good to start with, i think

I am reading both of those books.  I have to say that they are both
concise, well written and worth the investment.  FYI: "The C Programming
Language"  by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie and "Advanced
Programming in the UNIX Environment" by W. Richard Stevens.  Another
person mentioned "The Design of the UNIX Operating System" by Maurice J.
which is cited by Stevens.

Good luck, Zera