New debug kernel installation mechanism committed to HEAD

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 25 02:33:50 PDT 2004

On Saturday, 23 October 2004 at  7:26:12 +0900, Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:
> At Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:27:20 -0700 (PDT),
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>>

>>> Have you ever used dconschat(8) with FireWire(4)?
>>>
>>> It's a nice replacement of serial console and it has some advantage
>>> over serial console.
>>>
>>> - Fast (400Mbps, theoretically)
>>> - Support both console and gdb port with only one cable.
>>>   (serial console usually need two cables.)
>>> - You can manage several target machines with only one 1394 host controller.
>>>   (you need to buy multiport or many USB-serial adaptors for serial console.)
>>> - You can peek target memory with /dev/fwmem like /dev/mem of localhost.
>>> - dcons(4) in loader(8) is now available for FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> gdb(4) has some example to use them.
>>> It's very convenient to use /etc/eui64 to specifying a target.
>>>
>>> /\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
>>> \/  simokawa at xxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>    I've been able to get a remote getty working over dcons, but as yet have
>>    been unable to get console messages to print on it or to be able to break
>>    into DDB from it.
>
> You need the following options in your kernel config file to
> enable 'CR' + '~' +  '^b' to ddb.

> Multi-console support in FreeBSD-5 is very convenient and worth to
> porting to DragonFly. (as you know in loader)

I can confirm that remote debugging over firewire is an excellent way
to go.  It's the only way I use any more.  I'll be talking about that
on Friday, too, and maybe demonstrating it.

Greg