Subversion Release Candidate

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at etb.net.co
Sun Feb 1 11:48:34 PST 2004

Kip Macy wrote:

> I can't speak for the group, but I think that it is appropriate to post
> here. Although my personal choice is bitkeeper, my contributions to
> DragonFly have been minimal and my primary interest is in seeing a move
> away from CVS.

the subject  has been discussed in FreeBSD too. It looks like developers feel
very happy with perforce, but there is a strong desire to keep using a
completely free solution, and although it still lacks some desirable features,
subversion seems to be the best option.

I think the biggest problem for DragonFlyBSD would be that the conversion may
take precious developer time (setting it up), although it will payoff in the
long run.

> The place to start would probably be to "mirror" the central CVS archive
> in subversion. Are there appropriate filters for doing something like
> that, or does one have to incrementally pull in patches?

It's a great idea! There are a couple of utilities to convert CVS to SVN, see
"Repository Converters" here:

http://subversion.tigris.org/project_links.html

    Pedro.