geom, devfs

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Sep 15 08:37:11 PDT 2003

:hi matt and all,
:
:do you/we plan to port geom[1] (or a similar) framework to DragonFly?
:i came across this, when i thought about geom-gate, which looks very
:interesting.
:
:imho, geom is a nice abstraction, so is something similar intended for
:DragonFly?
:
:.. and what about devfs? i like the concept of having only these device
:nods, that need to be there. (do we really need mknod?, the kernel should
:know better, what he supports).
:i guess, this will have to wait till matt completes his vfs overhaul.
:
:just some minor questions ;)
:
:[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/Geom/
:
:cheers,
:~ibotty

    Well, Poul presented an overview of Geom at the Dev Summit.  The
    abstraction is reasonable but DragonFly's own messaging interface is far
    more advanced.  It might be possible to present a compatible API but
    we aren't going to be able to do anything for at least 6 months
    because we have to messagize VFS and asynchronize the messaging in DEV
    first.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>