AMD64 impressions (Re: AMD64 box)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Nov 12 16:12:46 PST 2003

:>     lower end chip for the UP work because I eventually plan on getting
:>     another box (i.e. an SMP box).
:>
:>     I'm impressed either way, though.  The Athlon64 will interleave the
:>     banks and when I write a little program to scan, say, a 32MB chunk of
:>     memory over and over again I get on the order of 2.62GBytes/sec from
:>     main memory with PC3200 memory.
:
:so that's what, 75% of the memory bandwidth.

    I think the duel channel controller on the FX is capable of around
    6 GBytes/sec, but I don't know what the actual bandwidth would read
    with my test code, since I'm just using a series of 'movl off(%ebx),%eax'
    instructions in the core loop.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>