anonymous storage and execve()

David P. Reese, Jr. daver at gomerbud.com
Fri Nov 7 03:42:21 PST 2003

I've spent the week trying to understand the source for execve() and the
image activators.  I think I'm ready to split execve().  Before I do,
I have some questions about how I should allocate memory for the separate
buffers.

The string and image_header buffer is going to be split into a couple of
pieces.  For the strings, I need to create at least two buffers.  One
will be for the arg and env strings at least ARG_MAX in length.  Another
will be for the path name of the executable which should be PATH_MAX in
length.

In what cases should I be using the kmem allocator versus the slab
allocator?

--
   David P. Reese, Jr.                                     daver at xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                               http://www.gomerbud.com/daver/